Give Your Puppy or Kitten the Right Start in Life
At Harris Boulevard Veterinary Clinic, each pet's first year of care is customized based on its specific needs. Just like human children, puppies and kittens require multiple physical exams and vaccine boosters within the first year.
Keep in mind puppies and kittens are rapidly changing, these additional exams ensure they get the very best start in life. During these first visits our staff is more than happy to educate you on nail trimming, nutrition, and preventive care for your young pet.
Below are our recommendations, in addition to ones noted above, for your puppy or kitten’s first year.
- Physical Exams: Your puppy or kitten’s lifetime of wellness starts with its first comprehensive physical exam. Puppies and kittens should have 3-4 exams between the ages of 8-16 weeks. These visits are important because they give our veterinarians an opportunity to assess your pet's overall health and to administer vaccines. Puppies and kittens age quickly during these first few months, so it is important to frequently check them to assure proper growth.
- Vaccinations: Due to their immature immune systems, puppies and kittens must receive a series of properly staged vaccines. Since every puppy and kitten is unique, we tailor our vaccination recommendations based on their lifestyle and/or breed and according to the suggested guidelines.
- Diagnostic Testing: We recommend that puppies are tested for Heartworm at 6 months of age, if not done previously, and that kittens are tested for Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS at their first visit, if not done previously.
- Deworming: Many puppies and kittens are born with intestinal parasites or they can be transmitted to them early in life. Parasites can cause severe anemia and can steal vital nutrients from our little friends. We run several parasite tests and deworm several times to ensure that your puppy or kitten is free from these parasites.
- Additional Recommendations: Your veterinarian will also discuss and recommend other services, such as spaying, neutering or microchipping, that can lead to a longer and healthier life for your dog or cat.
Puppy and Kitten Care Special Offers
We offer complimentary first doses of flea and heartworm preventative along with food recommendations, nail trimming and ear cleaning if needed. By choosing our clinic as a provider of veterinary care for your puppy or kitten, we reward you for being on time for your visits with a $10 off coupon for each additional pediatric veterinary visit along with a $50 off spay & neuter coupon (only redeemable at Harris Boulevard Veterinary Clinic).